Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU) is organising a Virtual Workshop On FORENSIC SCIENCE IN CRIME INVESTIGATION on 4th and 5th SEP, 2021. The workshop has renowned domain experts as speakers.
About the Workshop
The application of scientific methods to investigate crimes and to find out the suspect person
involved in the crime has been playing a decisive role in crime investigation. With the
development in science and technology the notion of crime as well as the various methods
used by criminals in its commission have experienced a remarkable change. The term ‘Forensic’
is derived from the Latin word ‘forensis’ which means belonging to courts of justice. ‘Forensic
Science’ can be well-defined as that “scientific discipline which is directed to the recognition,
identification, individualization, evaluation of physical evidence by the application of the
principles and methods of natural sciences for the purpose of administration of criminal
justice”. ‘Forensic Science’ includes all branches of physical and natural sciences i.e., chemistry,
biology, physics and geology. After passage of few years, it has established its own branches,
which are more or less the exclusive domain of forensic science. Anthropology, odontology,
fingerprints, footprints, ballistics, serology, cyber forensic were basically developed to assist the
criminal justice administration.
Collection and preservation of ‘forensic evidence’ is a challenging task for the law enforcement
agencies which has utmost importance during criminal proceedings. Further, it has been
observed from many cases that due to improper collection of evidence from the crime scene, the prosecution has failed to prove the guilt of the accused beyond reasonable doubt, which
ultimately results in acquittal of the accused. Moreover, the production of the ‘forensic evidence’ in an effective manner in the court of law also necessitates skills and knowledge which can be learnt through proper training and practice.
The present workshop aims to address all the existing issues and loopholes and will provide a platform of learning to all stakeholders from experienced trainers in the field of forensic science.
Who May Participate?
• Law Students, Advocates, Research Scholars, Academicians
• Forensic Assistants, Law Enforcement Officers.
Objectives of the Workshop:
• To equip the participants about basic concepts and recent trends in forensic science.
• To familiarize the participants with various tools and techniques used by forensic
labs for detection of crimes.
• To explore challenges faced by law enforcement agencies in preservation and
production of evidence before the court of law.
• To come up with suggestions and solutions for tackling the challenge of miscarriage
of justice due to improper collection of evidence.
Broad Themes of the Workshop:
• Introduction to Forensic Science and Law
• Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
• Forensic Anthropology
• Questioned Documents and Handwriting
• Crime Scene Investigation
• Better Methods, Techniques and Tools in Forensic Science
• Law and Forensic Justice
• Role of DNA Tests in Crime Investigation
Workshop Date: 4th – 5th September 2021
Registration Deadline: 31st August 2021 by 5:00 pm
Confirmation of Registration: 2nd September 2021
• For Professionals: 1000 (INR)
• For HNLU Faculty Members: 750 (INR)
• For Outside Students and Research Scholars: 500 (INR)
• For HNLU Students: 200 (INR)
Account Holder’s Name: Registrar, Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur
Bank Name – IDBI Bank
Account No. 1188102000000806
Account Type -Current A/C
IFSC Code – IBKL0001188
MICR Code – 492259503
Branch Name – HNLU Campus Branch, Uparwara, Naya Raipur
• The participants are required to attach the screenshot of successful payment in the
• Selected participants shall be notified through e-mail on the ID provided by them in
the registration form.
• The workshop shall be conducted through the Cisco Webex platform. There will be a
separate link for each technical session. The link will be shared through the registered email id of the participants.
• E-certificate of participation will be provided upon successful attending of a stipulated
number of lectures. Participants are requested to register by making the payment and
filling up the Google form before the timeline.